Effective state-wide contact tracing
Tracking close contacts is key to efficient epidemic control, especially those people in contact with ‘super spreaders’.
According to UNSW, every person with COVID-19 will have 10-20 contacts to trace, which means if a state has 100 cases a day, you need to trace 1000-2000 contacts within 24-48 hours.
The National Cabinet review into contact tracing recommends that states invest in automation and digital systems for outbreak management.
Sometimes hundreds of third-party automated tracking systems will need to be accessed to complete effective contact tracing – this is not a feasible long-term solution in a COVID-19 world.
• We all know that the people with the highest risk of getting infected with COVID-19 are close contacts of infected cases.
• If you don’t trace close contacts rapidly, you will miss the window of opportunity to prevent them infecting others.
• If you don’t trace all contacts, a state’s public health system could face a growing backlog and lose control of the epidemic.
• If an epidemic grows too large, no city or state — no matter how well-resourced — will be able to keep up with contact tracing using manual methods such as whiteboards, phone calls or SMS.
YPB have been developing and implementing award-winning tracking and tracing solutions for more than a decade. Our cloud-based YPB Connect Platform is a tried and tested solution that is COVID-19 contact tracing ready, and already includes:
• Unique QR code generation that can be scanned by any smartphone
• Device location-based tracking
• Device recognition for auto check-in across multiple venues and locations
• Secure user data collection and storage in line with privacy regulations
• Dashboard and scanning analytics
• Most existing QR code systems were built for marketing purposes, but at YPB we have always put security and protection at the centre of our technologies.
• Our award-winning contactless check-in system can enable faster contact tracing of COVID-19 cases across cities and state-wide.
• While the YPB Connect Platform helps businesses meet their mandatory contact tracing requirements with ease, it’s the enhancement of the platform to Connect Sentry that will help governments control outbreaks and keep communities safe.
Connect Sentry enables contact tracing teams to:
• See an individual’s venue and location history in real-time on an ‘at-a-glance’ dashboard
• See an individual’s check-in journey on a map view with one simple click
• Access check-in heat maps and analytics for quick detection of possible clusters
Connect Sentry is built on a proven system, can be rolled out immediately and scaled up as needed.
• Contact tracing should not rely solely on lengthy interviews where people can forget key information or mislead public health officials.
• A unified digital check-in system could shave six to eight hours off the time needed to identify contacts, ensuring outbreaks don’t spiral out of control.
• Governments that can perform fast and effective contact tracing save lives and keep economies thriving.
• YPB can tailor Connect Sentry to the unique needs of any state or territory.
COVID-19 has seen an explosion of smaller QR code and digital check-in providers flood the market, with many not meeting minimum privacy regulations.
Connect Sentry also turns every user into an anonymous ‘fingerprint’.
The real identities of the ‘fingerprints’ in the system are only revealed for contact tracing purposes, which helps protect people from ‘marketing surveillance’ and databases from cyber attacks.
Connect Sentry meets all privacy regulations and destroys data in line with all state requirements.
• The main purpose of many of these companies before COVID-19 was to collect data for marketing purposes, not protect the privacy of users.
• Privacy and cybersecurity experts are warning that the lack of due diligence in vetting providers has left the contact tracing systems vulnerable to exploitation.
• There are concerns that data could be resold or used for identity fraud, and that databases are an irresistible target for cyber criminals.